Yummy!

Yummy!
Apfelstrudel at zum Wildschutz Restaurant, Garmisch

Monday, March 17, 2014

Glad to report my job situation has changed so the only real constraint I now have is budget.  That's something I can work at with the expectation of eventual success.  Today, I weighed out my clothing for a one month European trip keeping in mind it had to fit in my medium-sized backpack.  Clothing for the pack consisted of two pairs of Exofficio Nomad pants, three pairs of Exofficio underpants, two wicking undershirts, two pairs of Darn Tough merino wool socks, a handkerchief, a Sierra Designs money belt, two "river" shirts, a silk sleep shirt, and a pair of trail-runner shoes.  Total weight comes in at 4 and a half pounds.  Clothing I would be wearing for the travel day including a Scottevest with detachable hood and arms so I can use it as a rain jacket as well (weighs two and a quarter pounds all by itself) would be similar to the pack contents (for a total of three changes of clothing and includes a second pair of shoes) weighs in at about five and a half pounds FSO (from skin out).  I have also ordered some EZ towels to reduce pack weight and increase pack room.  They are button-sized, super light-weight, compressed rayon washcloths that open out to about the size of a standard washcloth.  I also ordered a lightweight compressed beach towel that is about the size of a hockey puck until opened.  I will do a review on them when they arrive.  My wife and I plan to do some regional travel once the weather is friendlier here in WV.  It will be budget camping travel and most likely using our SUV as the tent.  We have plenty equipment for camping and can tailor the setup for conditions and duration.  More on that later.  Happy to be back in the situation that I will be able to travel again!

1 comment: