Yummy!

Yummy!
Apfelstrudel at zum Wildschutz Restaurant, Garmisch

Saturday, March 30, 2013


Travel backpack.You’ll notice I will talk about my backpack a lot.  I’m a one bag traveler.  My experience, and the experience of lots of other travelers to Europe, is that the best travel strategy is to take only one carry-on piece of luggage.  Just one.  That’s all.  This strategy frees you up to quickly go through customs (no waiting at the terminal for your other bags and no worry about someone stealing them), no worry about the airlines losing your bags (or one of the staff stealing from them), no paying extra for luggage, you can travel on public transportation instead of getting a more expensive taxi, you don’t have to lug heavy bags over cobblestone or up steps to your hotel  which may or may not have an elevator, you don’t have the problem of rapidly boarding and exiting a bus or train with all that luggage, and you will just be more comfortable because the extra luggage and consequent logistics is something you don’t have to worry about.  And you get to feel downright intelligent watching other folks struggle with their bags as you relax with that smug look on your face.  Since I do have some backpacking experience, pack weight reduction is something always on my mind.  The challenge for me is to pack for up to one month using only a relatively small pack.  This means I have to justify everything that makes it into my pack.  Keep in mind, the pack must meet airline carry-on size and weight standards.  Mine is around 3100 cubic inches and weighs in at around twenty-five pounds fully packed.  I call it my “work horse pack.” I hope you can see this link:  http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/military-style-modular-field-pack.aspx?a=792483 I got the black one (don't want my bag to look like military equipment) and I highly recommend the pack you choose has a hip belt.  The belt takes some of the strain off your back.   Doesn’t matter what your full pack weighs, it will eventually get annoying to say the least.  Get one with a hip belt.  Trust me on this.  Of course, I also wear a hidden moneybelt to always keep my passport, credit card(s), and funds on my person.  Only the funds I need for the day go in my pocket so a pickpocket will not ruin my vacation--only a part of that particular day.

Because I’m taking only one bag, every effort must be made to reduce its weight as much as possible while making sure I have as many of the essentials as possible.  Some essentials, like my Leatherman tool, cannot be packed because it has a knife beyond the accepted length so it won’t get by the folks at TSA.  I’ll have to get one that will be acceptable as I feel somewhat naked without a pocket knife—I’ve carried one for over fifty years.  Prior to the recent decision by TSA to relent a bit on knives, I’ve even considered (but did not do it) sharpening the edge of a defunct credit card to use as a knife hoping it won’t be noticed in my wallet as a sharp instrument.  Of course, there is the old method of using dental floss as a saw to cut easy things like cheese.  So, I have been and will  continually be working on paring down pack weight.  For example, I remove the contents of my really neat multi-pocketed shaving kit because the kitbag itself weighs much more than a gallon-sized Ziploc freezer bag which becomes the new kitbag.  One school of thought is not to pack toiletries at all because you can purchase them at your destination.  My experience, however, is that such things cost more overseas and I already have the stuff so why not use it up before buying more of same.  Sometimes a small mirror comes in very handy but it would take up too much room and add unnecessary weight to the pack.  My solution is a bit novel and also satisfies my emergency preparedness mindset a bit.  You can buy a mirrored cell phone screen protector.  Got mine on sale at an internet site for a couple dollars.  So my smart-phone is a mirror to be used for grooming and also a non-electronic emergency signal device if necessary in addition to being a phone and mini-computer.  I also pack an extremely lightweight daypack which will see use as a daily carry pack while touring (work horse backpack stays at lodging whenever possible).  I have an Eagle Creek packable daypack for that purpose.  It weighs 6.5 ounces, is rugged, functional enough, and takes up little room in the pack or pocket http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Packable-Daypack-Black/dp/B003CKMTWW/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1364604259&sr=1-1&keywords=eagle+creek+packable+daypack .  That way, I reduce the possibility of losing just about everything if my work horse pack gets lost or stolen and I have the added benefit of less weight to carry when schlepping through the city/countryside.  I bought a fantastic travel vest called a Scottevest with lots of pockets which  also reduces the pack weight as I can carry some essential items in the vest most of the time often negating even the use of my lightweight day pack.  http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Travel_Vest.shtml  Rick Steves has a great website and advice on packing light at this URL:  http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/pack-light.htm  And here’s another great link on the subject:  http://www.independenttraveler.com/travel-tips/packing-and-accessories/the-carry-on-challenge-how-to-pack-light-every-time.  Consider this concept.  I believe you’ll be won over.  Whaddaya think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment