Yummy!

Yummy!
Apfelstrudel at zum Wildschutz Restaurant, Garmisch

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Hallstatt Square, Austria

Hellbrunn Palace, Austria

Trip Report – Salzburg area of Austria

Waiting on guest articles to get here.  In the meantime, my version of “what I did on my summer vacation.”  Hope you enjoy it.

I interrupted my solo travel in Germany to join an on-line contact for a two day trip to the Salzburg, Austria, area during the early part of October 2012. She had rented a car for the trip from Munich and had reserved a nice room at a Best Western hotel near the Salzburg train station. I found out too late about her lodging and had to reserve a room nearer the old town portion of Salzburg (no rooms available at the Best Western).  I was greatly impressed by the hospitality and help of the staff where she stayed. We arrived near noon, she checked in, and then we traveled to the nearby Hellbrunn Castle where the tour guide delighted in demonstrating the water system there that squirts water on unsuspecting guests throughout the tour. The gazebo used in the film Sound of Music is also there.

Following that, we traveled to Gollinger Falls which is a treat for any photographer and a workout for those young of heart but not of leg. We returned to her hotel just before dusk and I caught the S-bahn into Salzburg where I eventually found my hotel, the Meiningerhof, located in a shopping center.   Saw lots of younger folks most likely doing Europe after college--seems to be that word is out that the hotel is a good place to stay. Really nice room and good customer service. The only problem I had was finding it as I caught the S-bahn train number S-3 from the main train station to the nearest stop (Gnigl). I found the address which was a somewhat large shopping center. I didn't know the hotel is part of that building and I went into the wrong door. A helpful shop clerk told me the correct route to the correct door.  Interestingly, while checking in, I saw a group of about five young guys I saw earlier at the main station checking in there as well.  They were easy to spot—they all wore dark clothing and one of them was wearing a neon green tutu.  Must have lost a bet or is pledging a fraternity was my guess.  One of them tried chatting up the attractive clerk despite her obviously wearing an engagement ring to no avail.  My assessment of the hotel which has hostel lodging as well is that it is very clean and efficient. The hotel is located about 20 minutes by foot to the old town.  The following day, we left early to go to the Dachstein Ice Cave and the Five Fingers viewing platform on the Salzkammergut mountain. The drive there was like you see in the high performance automobile commercials here in the States with lots of curves, hills, and dips, along with fantastic scenery. The trip up the mountain via gondolas (yep, two stages so two gondolas) was picturesque and nerve-wracking for those with a deep respect for or downright fear of heights. The ice cave tour was very interesting and the guide spoke English and German so we got a great geological education and opportunity to take lots of photos. Some ice there is over 700 years old. We had an option to see an additional cave but we decided to forego it in order to go to the Five Fingers viewing stand.   It is built in such a manner that it projects over a cliff and there is a Plexiglas floor so you can see what is below.  Not for those who have a fear of heights but a great way to safely overcome said fear if one does it anyhow.

Following an invigorating and physically exhaustive time on the mountain, we traveled to picturesque Hallstatt to enjoy the centuries old town until almost dusk. Tired, enthusiastic, but out of time, we traveled back to Salzburg. We had a look at old town Salzburg the following drizzly morning but had to leave for Germany in the afternoon in order to meet travel schedules. Will return when I have more time.  Great trip!

Five Fingers viewing platform, Dachstein

Inside church in Salzburg

Gazebo from Sound of Music



No comments:

Post a Comment