Yummy!

Yummy!
Apfelstrudel at zum Wildschutz Restaurant, Garmisch

Monday, April 1, 2013

Gasthaus Maria, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany

Lodging, camping, alternatives. I’m not ashamed to say it.  I’m tighter than bark on a tree.  In other words, I’m frugal.  If there is a cheaper way to do something and it is safe and does not detract from my ultimate goal, I don’t see a reason to pay more to achieve that goal whether it be a purchase, entertainment, lodging, whatever.  I’m not a person of means and I’m self-employed.  That means I must be innovative and get the best bang for my buck without sacrificing quality.  So let’s talk about lodging.  Besides travel costs, lodging seems to be the biggest expense when traveling.  My philosophy is that lodging is simply where you spend the night when touring.  You’re in other places during the day so why spend big bucks on a place to sleep as long as it is safe and comfortable?  Consider three star hotels, local bed and breakfasts, and pensions when traveling.  The smaller establishments seem to be more customer-oriented and helpful anyhow.  Do your lodging research on travel sites like Tripadvisor to see what others think of the place being considered.  Neither Global Freeloading nor Couch Surfing , by the way, are an option for me as my wife will never agree to hosting a stranger in our home and that is part of the agreement for those organizations.  Organizations such as these hook you up with a host at the city you want to stay in and the cost is zero.  You, however, must agree to host someone belonging to the organization when they visit your city.  I have some great recommendations in terms of gear for such lodging if you don’t do the one bag concept like me.  Total gear weight for a complete and very comfortable sleep system is about five pounds and it all would pack into a travel duffel like the Eagle Creek packable duffle.   Let me know if ya’ll want my list and links for the gear.  Something else I have never tried but seems to have some potential in certain circumstances is to “house-sit” which gives you rent-free lodging in return for staying at someone’s residence while they are traveling elsewhere.  Often, you take care of their pets during the stay.  It’d be great for one of our readers who has done this to chime in.  Here is a website for House Sit World  and Trustedhousesitters for those who want to do some research.

At a price of $16/night for a tent site at the US military campground on Garmisch, Germany, for example, I can save hundreds of dollars by staying there for at least two weeks and using that location as base camp for excursions.  Sleeping on the ground will be a comfort challenge, especially for my aging bones and bad back so cost vs comfort has to be considered into your lodging equation. You cannot hammock camp in Germany at all but maybe I could at the US installation in Garmisch.  Hammock camping is the absolute most comfortable camping you can do in my opinion.  Setting up and taking down camp takes less than five minutes.  I have a great quality Clark hammock which is on par with a spendy  three-season tent but much more comfortable and much less roomy than a tent.   It only weighs about 3.5 pounds and you can use it as a tent if there is no way to hang.  However, you would probably go crazy staying in one all day and night if there is a rainy day and you just don’t want to go outside.  You meet some really great folks while camping and that’s some compensation for relative discomfort.  If I had my “druthers” though, I’d go for "a roof over my head type lodging."  My wife doesn’t do tent camping any more.  I’m not too enamored with the thought of hostelling although my friend Kurt rather enjoys it.  As for me, I was glad to give up my barracks days.  Funding requires I not rule it out.  I should stay at one a few times just so I can blog about it.  I’m told (and read) hostels are not just one big sleeping room anymore.  We’ll see.  One strategy of limited use but should be considered is to take a night train from one part of the country to the other (or even another country) and get whatever sleep you can on the train keeping your personal and backpack security in mind.  Saves the cost of one night’s lodging but if you’re in the cheap seats and close to my age, it’s going to be darned uncomfortable and you’ll probably pay for it throughout the next day. 

Speaking of camping, one of my favorite writers is a guy who hiked the Grand Canyon.  His name is Colin Fletcher and he was (now deceased) the undisputed hiking guru.  Read his book entitled “The Complete Walker IV” for insightful and practical been there done that advice.  Read his other books for hiking tips and entertainment.  I warn you about reading Fletcher’s books.  You’ll get hooked quickly.  I admire his ability to pack so much information and insight into a paragraph.  I follow his “House on the Back” concept of packing a backpack when camping.  In essence, you pack lightweight basics of each important room in your home which results in your home being wherever you and your pack are.  Kitchen has cooking supplies and food.  Bathroom has medicine cabinet, toilet paper, laundry, and perhaps a urinal.  Bedroom has sleeping gear.  Living room consists of perhaps a camp chair and table.  Den/office has your communication with the world equipment and library.  Closet has your clothes and hat.  And, of course, there is the miscellaneous drawer everyone has in their house but few will admit to.  Believe it or not, all the above have very lightweight packable equivalents.   If you’re thinking of backpacking travel and camping as your lodging, consider his method but think “ultralight” gear and mindset unless you’re young and don’t hurt like us older folks have to put up with.

Miscellaneous Tip du Jour:  Just a general lodging recommendation in case you get stranded at an airport, all hotel rooms are booked, and they won’t let you sleep in the terminal:  rent a comfortable car at the airport car rental center and sleep in that.  No mileage, little or no fuel use (depends on whether you periodically run the heater or air conditioner), lockable room—most likely all for considerably less than a nearby hotel room would cost.  A travel pillow, lightweight travel blanket, earplugs, and sleep mask would make your night more comfortable.  I carry that stuff when traveling anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment