Yummy!

Yummy!
Apfelstrudel at zum Wildschutz Restaurant, Garmisch

Wednesday, April 3, 2013


Walking, train, transportation.  You’re gonna get tired of reading this preamble but it’s true:  I’m not ashamed to say it.  I’m tighter than bark on a tree.  In other words, I’m frugal.  If there is a cheaper way to do something and it is safe and does not detract from my ultimate goal, I don’t see a reason to pay more to achieve that goal whether it be a purchase, entertainment, lodging, whatever.  I’m not a person of means and I’m self-employed.  That means I must be innovative and get the best bang for my buck without sacrificing quality.  So let’s talk about walking vice transport.  I love walking as a touring method.  I love walking, period.  Walking allows one to “absorb” the place.  Smells, sounds, temperature and humidity, degree of light, feeling the texture of the ground or surface where you’re at, the mood of folks nearby, the aura of the place (such as when in the Dachau concentration camp), perhaps even the taste of the air can all be savored (or rejected) when you have the time and ability to sense them.  That’s hard to do when traveling by vehicle at X number of miles per hour.  It’s difficult to interact or choose not to interact with folks in that quickly traveling vehicle.  A bicycle is OK as you can enjoy some of the things above in a wider range time-wise compared to walking.  Walking does require some important pieces of equipment:  well broken-in shoes, good cushioning/ wicking socks, blister kit if needed, foot powder and/or deodorant, and feet and legs fit for walking—you do walk a bit to build up for a walking vacation don’t you?  Oh, and did I mention walking is free?

Train transportation in Germany is efficient but somewhat expensive.  You can buy discount tickets online for use in Germany but they must be sent to a US address.  Check out this Rick Steves train travel website for additional information on rail tickets for Germany and all of Europe.  For example, a discount ticket for seven days of train trips in Germany at the site costs about $400 which is worth it I believe.  There is a method to hitchhike/share in gasoline costs popular in Germany which is apparently government sanctioned and safe.  I may look into that as well if I want to travel around to places I don’t want to waste one of my train rides on.  This excerpt from Rick Steve’s Europe Through the Back Door 2012 is interesting:  “Share-a-ride" organizations match rides and riders. Start with Coche Compartir (particularly active in Spain, France, Italy, and Germany, and Carpooling.com which list ride possibilities in European countries (and around the world). Look for Mitfahrzentrale in Germany, FreeWheelers in Britain, and Taxistop in Belgium (also features deals on ferries).  You may pay a small amount to join, and you help with gas expenses, but it works well and is much cheaper than train travel. Also ask about rides at student tourist information centers. Informal ride services are posted on college and hostel bulletin boards all over Europe.”

You may also want to consider travel by boat.  Other than a Rhine River cruise decades ago, I've not traveled by boat or ship.  There are some great train/boat travel deals in Germany but I just haven't tried them.  Perhaps a reader can clue us all in?

Miscellaneous Tip du Jour:  Take a cheap wrist-watch with you when you travel.  German commerce and transportation, for example, runs on a tight schedule even though you may not.  Don’t observe and comply with the schedule = pay the consequences such as no service or worse.  I promised myself I wouldn’t wear a watch after I retired from the military—did not want to live on a schedule.  But you need one when you are at the mercy of someone else’s schedule.  I say cheap watch in case it gets stolen.

No comments:

Post a Comment