Yummy!

Yummy!
Apfelstrudel at zum Wildschutz Restaurant, Garmisch

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

People-watching at one of my favorite people-watching sites in Trier.

Getting Lost – Folks who know me well know that I get lost often, especially in an urban environment where you can easily get information overload.  It’s a mystery to them how I can do my job which entails interviewing folks at different locations daily but I build this problem into my time and method to mitigate it.  I am “spatially challenged” and have been as far back as I can remember.  It causes problems for me and those with me.  Other than I like to do things at my own pace and interest anyhow, the inability to find my way back keeps me from doing much bus touring as there is often a time for everyone to be back at the bus and I just can’t enjoy myself as I feel the need to cut my touring short in order to get back to the bus in time knowing full well I won’t be able to get there quickly like everyone else.  It is very frustrating to say the least so I have had to come up with solutions to get things done anyhow.  Now that there is GPS, finding my way is usually very easy in a vehicle.  I’ve never really tried GPS on foot.  There are some smartphone apps that allegedly come in handy for that sort of thing and I’ve tried a few for such mundane things as finding my car in a crowded parking lot--they are not accurate enough for me and I have better luck going to the area I think it may be in and start walking a grid in hopes of finding it.  If I have the key that came with the vehicle we have that has the keyless entry thingee that beeps when you hit the button, I use that.  That helps a lot.  Too bad there isn’t such a thing for buildings.  This spatially challenged problem presents more “opportunity to excel” when I’m in a place I’ve never been before, especially out of the country where even the signs are not in my language.  Here are some things I do to mitigate:  I make it a point to keep the business card of the hotel (or lodging) I’m staying at with me.  The hotel business card solution is really great to use if you have children who may wander off.  Give the kid one with instructions to get help to return to the hotel using the card.  If, after reasonable effort, I simply cannot find the place I’m looking for, I can get a taxi to there.  Of course, prior to the taxi as a last resort, I will go low tech and (despite the stereotype for my sex) simply ask someone for directions.  If I don’t speak the language well enough, I’ll show the business card and point in different directions to somehow convey I’m asking which direction the hotel is in.  That reminds me of a thing about trying to speak in the local language:  it’s great that you can ask where the train station is, but you need to know the words for straight ahead, right, and left also. I make it a point to write down what I hear because I have found as I age that my short term memory is not the best.  Besides, if I take out pen and paper, the person providing the info will often map it for me.   If you can make contact with the local constabulary, you have a better chance of getting the info you need in a manner you can use in addition to enjoying the security of asking a “safe” person for directions if you’re in a dicey neighborhood.  I have found that a cell phone camera comes in handy when you’re setting out for a walking destination.  Each time you make a turn, turn around and take a photo of that waypoint so you can recognize it when you make your way back.  You can delete the uninteresting photos later back at the hotel if not needed.  This is especially helpful if you’re one who navigates by landmark.  Lots of lodging front desks have free local maps if you ask.  They’re often not the most detailed maps, but have enough details on them about major routes that you can navigate by the major crossroads to get you in the vicinity of where you want to go.  I do carry a cheap, lightweight, small combo whistle/compass/magnifying glass/thermometer I got at the camping section of my local Walmart which allows me to orient with the map.  Often places of interest and recommended restaurants are indicated on the map as well.  Sometimes discount tickets are printed on the map too.  I use the map/cell phone photo waypoint method most often.   Sometimes, there are directional signs pointing you to the destination you want to go to.  If so, simply use them as waypoints for your way back-kinda like urban trail-blazes. 

Secret of Invisibility - I can become invisible.  When working surveillances, most of my team (sometimes none of them) did not see me although I was right in front of or beside them.  Granted, I’m a small guy and not physically imposing.  A woman once described me as a soft-spoken Southern gentleman.  Don’t know about the gentleman aspect but soft-spoken works into the invisibility aspect.  But, I do have a technique I use to become invisible.  I’ll gladly share it.  Trust me, it works.  To become invisible in a room/area with people or that will be looked into by people, think and mentally broadcast these words:  “there is nothing in here.”  Wording is important here.  Note I did not say “there is no one here.”  To do so acknowledges someone is there.  Whether the actual mechanics derive from body language or from some paranormal ability I don’t know.  I do know it works.  Try it next time you’re people watching or the boss is looking to “volunteer” someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment